TERMS OF REFERENCE
POSITION: National Agriculture and Rural Development Program Officer.
LOCATION: Duty station at Herat. The post holder will undertake missions to Kabul and Bamiyan, and possible other locations of intervention of the Italian Agency Development Cooperation.
DURATION: Full time. 3 months renewable.
CV, EU Format and a Motivation letter, in English, to be send to the following e-mail address by Sunday 17th February 2019, no later than 4.00PM: firstname.lastname@example.org
The e-mail should be titled: Application IADC-HERAT / National Agriculture and Rural Development Program Officer.
Since 2008, Italy has been supporting the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoIRA) in its efforts to strengthen the cluster of Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development.Within the framework of the “Support to Agriculture and Rural Development” (SARD) and “Support to Agriculture and Rural Markets” (SARM) Programs, the Italian Agency Development Cooperation Office (IADC) and the other Programs within the rural and environment sects in Afghanistan will continue to support the Afghan Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) and the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development (MRRD) in supporting the National Priority Program National Comprehensive Agriculture Priority Development Program (2016 to 2022). More specifically, the initiative supports with an integrated approach, both MAIL national programs with the involvement of FAO and the MRRD Citizen’ Charter Program, focusing mainly in the Province of Herat and secondly in the other Province of Bamiyan.
The IADC seeks a National Agriculture and Rural Development Program Officer to support its team in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the SARD and SARM Programs and more broadly of the new IADC initiatives of the Sustainable Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment cluster Programs. The objective is to improve the afghan rural population’s livelihood through the development of subsistence farming and high value chain agro-products and in particular to carry out the supervision and monitoring of the on-going programs. In addition, IADC will continue to support the Herat Livestock Development Union (HLDU), which was established through a program funded by the Italian Government to FAO. The program ended in December 2013 but, despite good results achieved in the dairy sector, the HLDU still needs support at managerial and marketing level in order to reach its full sustainability (at least up to end of 2018).
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
Under the supervision of the Director of the IADC office in Kabul and its SARD Program Coordinators, the National SARD Program Officer will:
- Assist the SARD Programs team with the implementation of the SARD and SARM Programs, consisting of supporting and monitoring to all the segments of the programs and provide consistent reports on progress of activities and results of the the monitoring.
- Support the HLDU through technical assistance aimed at improving its management and marketing level. In these three month’ contract, one of the priorities of the duties shall be focused on the support to HLDU both at the Dairy Plant and at the marketing of dairy products.
- Prepare a detailed work plan and business plan for the HLDU aimed to reach its financial self-sustainability.
- Implement the activities to support the HLDU, approved through Local Funds of SARD.
- Support the implementation and monitoring of Citizen’ Charter activities funded by IADC
- Assist the SARD Programs team in tracking, monitoring and evaluating activities funded by IADC, through the bilateral channel, as well as Italian funded projects/programs implemented by international organizations, through the multilateral channel;
- Ensure technical assistance aimed at achievement of Program objectives and results, deliverables, as well as to carry out activities to comply Program indicators, annual work plan, monitoring and evaluation plans according to Project quality and quantity as well as efficacy and efficiency indicators;
- Identify challenges, obstacles, and difficulties affecting the operation and effectiveness of technical activities, and work closely with IADC SARD Program team as needed to develop and implement strategies and solutions to overcome these problems;
- Review and when requested translate relevant documentation of IADC interest, from Dari to English languages and vice-versa;
- Maintain a registry of program-related correspondence and progress, technical reports;
- Collect systematic information and data regarding the IADC Programs with particular reference to SARD, SARM, Citizen’ Charter and any other Program of the SARD cluster, including environment and natural resources financed by IADC.
- Ensure effective support to IADC management team regarding to communication with all relevant SARD stakeholders, both at central, provincial and district level, such as MAIL-DAIL Extension Services, MRRD-DRRD, Ministry of Energy and Water (MEW), Department of Economy, Camera of Commerce, District Governor, Community Development Councils (CDC), Shuras, etc.;
- Liaise with representatives of the international community, civil society, NGOs, cooperatives and private sector;
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings related to SARD sector both at provincial and central level as required;
- Maintain a written record of the meetings attended;
- Perform the role of interpreter from English to Dari and vice-versa as required;
- Assist in the proper implementation of contracting and procurement processes including the preparation of requests for quotations, invitation for bids or requests for proposals, as well as receipt of quotations, bids or proposals and their preliminary evaluation in line with IADC requirements, rules and procedures;
- Prepare and disseminate formal correspondence, including drafting of correspondence on program-related issues as required;
- Participate in program monitoring and coordination missions and undertake travels as required;
- Maintain the highest levels of confidentiality when dealing with assigned materials, and all IADC information;
- Carry out works requested by direct superior staff of IACS.
- Graduated in one the following subjects: Agricultural Science, Natural Resources Science, Economy Science or a related field required; 10 years of experience may be used as the equivalent of a master’s degree;
- Experience in technical assistance, supervision and monitoring to rural development and agricultural programs, agricultural extension, agribusiness, value chain development activities focus on saffron, dairy products, horticulture, grape, raisin, fig, potatoes, etc;
- Demonstrated experience with central and local authorities, CDC, private and cooperative sector partners in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating agricultural, rural development and environmental activities at the national and sub-national level;
- Experience in working with a range of stakeholders, from high-level government officials to small-holder farmers;
- Experience in marketing development would be an asset;
- Knowledge of ARD national policies and international standards;
- Knowledge of rules, regulations, and policies of IADC and EU development projects/programs;
- At least three years of progressively responsible project/program management and monitoring;
- Solid writing skills, including reporting and editing technical documents;
- Proficiency in English and Dari. Knowledge of Pashto would be an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office applications (Excel, Word, Power Point, Access, e-mailing and internet browsing);
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills including proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, in difficult environment and circumstances, as well as ability to communicate with personnel at all operational and strategic levels;
- Ability to complete assigned tasks within strict deadlines and consistently maintain quality and accuracy in performance of duties;
- Proven meticulous time keeping, ability and availability to work additional hours, if required;
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility and moral integrity;
- Mandatory requirement to pass all security clearance.